I’m not so patiently waiting for Matt to wake up so I can test out my new overnight oats creation! I always wait to eat breakfast with him but I also pretty much always wake up earlier than him. Sometimes I subtly try to wake him up by banging things around in the kitchen but I always feel bad because he’s a sleepy student. And he’s still sleeping…
My dad and my sister both suggested that I make a recipe for oatmeal. My go-to oatmeal combo is peanut butter and banana but since I found really cheap peaches on sale in Dunnes, I decided to do something peachy. Once I heard someone say “It’s a real peach of a day!” when it was really sunny in Dublin.
Peachy Cheesecake Overnight Oats
by Emily Ratzlaff
Prep Time: 5 min
- 1 peach, chopped or sliced
- 1/3 cup of oats
- 1/3 cup of almond milk (or regular/soy/etc.)
- 1/4 cup of plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of light cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon of flax seed (optional)
- Sugar/maple syrup/stevia to sweeten (optional)
- Combine oats, milk, yogurt, and cream cheese and mix well. Stir in chopped peach. Sprinkle with flax seeds if desired. Cover and refrigerate overnight. No cooking required! Enjoy for breakfast.
- *If you want a sweeter bowl of oats, drizzle with maple syrup or add a bit of sugar into the mix.
This is my first time trying overnight oats. I’ve been meaning to try them forever but usually I feel like having hot oatmeal in the morning rather than cold – these would probably be great for the summer. They also save time in the morning because your breakfast is already made. I think I will try a carrot cake version next.
I only have one really long training run left for the marathon! I also got some unexpected extra money from my summer grant so I bought new running shoes. Today I’m planning to do a short run, edit my research paper, start reviewing for my upcoming hospital placement, and relax. Happy Sunday!
Update: Matt finally woke up and these oats were delicious! I love overnight oats.