I love cookies, I think they are my specialty. These cookies have a secret ingredient and you would never know it was in there – except I’m about to reveal the secret: sweet potatoes! I used sweet potatoes instead of butter in this recipe, and they turned out delicious. Did you know sweet potatoes are a superfood? Here are the facts. These are soft and chocolatey and surprisingly healthy – check this out:
Not too bad! These cookies are also gluten free if you use gluten-free oats. You definitely need these on a miserable rainy day like today. It’s been raining for 2 days straight here and it reminds me of Vancouver. I used to run in the rain all the time, but I’m really not used to this weather anymore. I try to avoid going out in the rain at all costs. It looks like it’s going to be another wet run this afternoon, if I can make myself go outside.
Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
by Emily Ratzlaff
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 10-12 min
Ingredients (makes 12 cookies):
- 1/3 cup of peanut butter
- 1/3 cup of sweet potato, cooked & mashed
- 1/3 cup of raw demerara sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of oats (ground in a blender)
- 1/4 cup of cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 50 grams of dark chocolate, chopped (or 1/2 cup of chocolate chips)
- Peel and chop sweet potato into big chunks. Boil until tender, drain and mash. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease with cooking spray.
- Combine peanut butter, sweet potato, brown sugar and egg. Mix well.
- Add oats to blender and blend until a fine flour forms. Combine oat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Stir in chopped chocolate.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
I made surprisingly great progress on my research project today. Here is the key to getting actual work done at home, I have finally figured it out after about 2 months – sit at a desk!
Matt carried that desk and chair on and off 2 buses to get it home from Ikea! We didn’t want to pay for the delivery, which was pretty much the same price as the desk and chair. We’re cheap.
And now I will leave you with something for your hamstrings, which have been sorely neglected on this blog (and also in real life): 3 Poses to Help Your Hamstrings. Enjoy!