Today I attempted to bike the route for the upcoming Dublin marathon so I’ll have an idea of where I’m going, but somewhere I took a wrong turn and ended up on a highway. I eventually made my way back to the city center and decided to head home instead of back-tracking because I was hungry. I’ll finish tomorrow (haha). All I can say is the route is very long – and I didn’t even do the whole thing yet.
I was planning to go to Starbucks this afternoon and treat myself to a Pumpkin Spice Latte (yes, they finally arrived in Ireland!), but I made these cookie bars instead and now I don’t have any desire to venture out on the bike again. I’ll settle for Earl Grey.
Healthy Cookie Bars
These are vegan, gluten-free and they have no added sugar, flour or butter. They’re actually really good. Recipe adapted from 101 Cookbooks.
Cook Time: 12-15 min
- 2 small ripe bananas mashed
- 3 tablespoons of peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of oats
- 1/3 cup of almonds, ground into a flour
- 2.5 tablespoons of dessicated coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup of dried cranberries (or raisins)
- 50 grams of chopped dark chocolate (or 1/4 cup of chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper or grease with cooking spray. (I used an 8×8 inch square pan).
- Combine mashed banana, peanut butter, coconut oil and vanilla extract and blend until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine oats, almonds (use a blender to grind almonds into a flour), coconut, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well.
- Stir in dried cranberries and chopped chocolate.
- Press dough down into pan and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Let cool before removing from pan. Cut into squares.
He sleeps with his paws in mid-air. Wednesday is Matt’s birthday! I am going to make him a delicious birthday cake. Now I better get to studying – I’ve been putting it off for days. This time next week I’ll be back at school.